Community Education Garden
Dedicated in May 2010 - Work in Progress in Spring, 2013
See photos of Work in Progress on Facebook
The WSU Chelan County Master Gardeners Community Education Garden is located at 1100 North Western Avenue in Wenatchee, WA to demonstrate sustainable gardening practices.
In 2013, join us for Third Sundays at the Garden. Take free tours and short tutorials meant to help educate and motivate you to get outside and into the garden. Read more about this program.
Visit the garden to see:
- a brick paver entrance patio . Read the plant list.
- a rose garden that includes a bank of Oso Easy ground cover roses, climbing roses in wood towers, a bed of tea roses, and shrub roses. All are on their own roots versus grafted to root stock. Read the plant list.
- raised bed gardens: vegetables and herbs
- a native garden that segues to a blended home garden of shrubs, trees and perennials. Read the plant list.
- a sun and shadow garden for plants needing partial shade. Read the plant list.
- a dahlia demonstration garden
- ten utility-friendly tree varieties. Read the plant list.
- circles of mass-planted tulips and crocus, planted by school children
- options for types of drip irrigation: in-line in half-inch and quarter-inch lines
- composting demonstration area, funded by a grant through the Community Foundation
- a garden of shrubs and trees to test resistance to deer browsing. Read the list..
- a straw bale vegetable garden in 2013
These theme gardens demonstrate that gardening and landscaping can be productive and beautiful while employing sustainable gardening practices.
Through continued fundraising efforts and support from the community, the WSU Chelan County Master Gardeners anticipate developing the entire .85 acre area. Future plans include an enabling garden, an improved ADA access as well as a sheltered learning area.
Property where the garden is located is provided through a partnership of the WSU Master Gardener Program of Chelan County and the WSU Tree Fruit Research and Extension Center. The Master Gardener Association of Chelan County, a non-profit organization, provides financial support for the project.
Support the Community Education Garden
Support this worthwhile endeavor to teach sustainable gardening one yard at a time. Download a brochure.
- Seeds ($1-$99)-donors will be recognized in an annual report.
- Flowers ($100-$499)-donors will be recognized in the annual report and on the recognition sign
- Friends ($500-$999)-donors will be recognized in the annual report and on the recognition sign
- Sponsors ($1000-$2499)- donors will be recognized in the annual report and on the recognition sign
- Sustainers ($2500-$4999)- donors will be recognized in the annual report and on the recognition sign
- Benefactors ($5000 and up)- donors will be recognized in the annual report and on the recognition sign.
Send donations to:
Master Gardener Association of Chelan County
400 Washington Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801